It started as a debate over which FCIAC gym was the most difficult to play in during basketball season, and eventually evolved into a bigger question: which school has the most loyal fans?
That argument continues to rage on. So we are back with the 9th annual Ruden Report Fan Showdown, sponsored by Splash Car Wash. Trumbull’s Black Hole, which has won four of the last five years, is the defending champion.
The two-part contest kicks off on Jan. 26, with the winning school getting $500 for its athletic department. More importantly, it will have bragging rights for the next year.
We have 11 schools entered: Darien, Fairfield Ludlowe, Fairfield Warde, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Stamford, Trumbull, Westhill and Wilton.
1. There will be two components. The first will be a Team of the Week-style vote here on the site starting Sunday, Jan. 26, and running until noon the following Wednesday.
2. The team that wins the vote will receive 5 points. Second place is worth 4 points, third place is worth 3 points, fourth place is worth 2 points and fifth place gets 1 point.
3. This year the voting will count for one-third rather than half of the total scoring.
4. The second component: each team will submit a video no longer than two minutes showing your fans in action at a home game or games, at any sport or sports of your choosing, from this year. We want to see loyalty and creativity. The deadline for the videos is noon on Jan. 26. Darien won the video contest last year. Below is Darien’s video.
5. As we receive the videos, we will post them for viewing. A panel of our sponsors will then judge them. They will give a 3 to the best one, 2 for the second-best and 1 for the third-best. The school that earns the most overall points, as with the voting, will get 5 points. Second place is worth 4 points, third place is worth 3 points, fourth place is worth 2 points and fifth place gets 1 point.
7. We will add up the points from the vote and the videos to determine the winner. If two or more schools tie, we will give them the option to agree on holding another vote to break it or to split the $500.
Those are the rules. Sometime in early February we will have a winner of the ninth annual Ruden Fan Showdown, sponsored by Splash Car Wash.